League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: News & Notes - 1978 season (thru 6 games)

By Braindeadkidfromouterspace - League Admin
5/21/2022 10:12 am

Quest For the Title

• 6 weeks in, and we still have 4 undefeated teams, with 2 having lost their first games in week 6. In The American Conference we have The Baltimore Bombers, and The Los Angeles Stars. In The National Conference The San Diego Sharks are defending their crown nicely with The Carolina Breakers on their tail also at 6-0. A lot of offense this year, and some stout defenses. The Breakers (only have allowed 16 points thus far), The Bombers (32), and The Americans (42) are also closing down on offenses. The Carolina Breakers are sporting the leagues top offense with 32 points per game, and 2 (Los Angeles Stars 27) and 3 (San Diego Sharks (25) are not really that close.

• Pro Bowl Watch

• Robert Caster (QB Knights) has fallen off a little bit this year after his all pro 1977 season, but he came back to life against The Blazers, and their under achieving, but tough to beat defense. We see some new faces atop the QB board. The Riders, James McCormick has been highly efficient, sporting the leagues top QB rating with a 3-1 TD/int ratio. James Armstead (Bombers) has played very well this year as well. The Sharks Patrick Bradley has regressed a bit as well, and The newly minted Lansing Lake Monsters, Raymond McCain is leading the league in passing yards per game with 234. Rookie, Carlos Dodge of The Carolina Breakers is leading the league in rushing with 734 yards through 6 weeks. He’s toting the rock 5.5 yards a carry. Fernando Phillips (Knights) has been an absolute nightmare for defenses, going for 28.1 yards per reception. The dude has touched the ball 18 times, and has 6 touchdowns with 506 yards. Sheesh. Leading the league in sacks this year is rookie Thomas Harris 3rd round pick of The Indianapolis Racers, and second year standout Rafael Markey (Americans) both with 14. Calvin Graham, DB Baltimore Bombers, has 7! INTs through 6 games. He had no interceptions last year. Let’s see if he can keep up this pace.

• - Adam Schefter
    Last edited at 5/21/2022 4:55 pm

By Pernbronze
    5/21/2022 4:45 pm
    Wonderful write up. Love it.

By Pernbronze
    5/21/2022 4:54 pm
    Harris was one of my favorite picks. He was a solid safe player at a position I desperately needed improvement. Tracy led the league in sacks last season but had no one on the other side. This season Harris has gone far beyond expectations, which was solid starter, while Tracy has kept up his own level of play boasting 11 sacks of his own. They have developed amazing chemistry and are in my opinion the most terrifying pass rushing duo in the league.

By Pernbronze
    5/31/2022 1:49 pm
    What a difference a good draft can make. I've already got more wins this season (8-1-1) than last season (7-9).

By Lars Bullitt
    5/31/2022 2:16 pm
    Pernbronze wrote:
    What a difference a good draft can make. I've already got more wins this season (8-1-1) than last season (7-9).

Just the opposite for me.

The only draft picks getting playing time are 1 OL and a punter.
    My QB play has been horrible. My RB ypc have dropped from 5.0 to 3.5. Overall, just a crappy year.

Only saving grace is I am still fairly young and a good draft can improve things.

By Braindeadkidfromouterspace - League Admin
    5/31/2022 6:07 pm
    Crazy how my teams cycle up and down some years. Gotta love this game

By Pernbronze
    5/31/2022 6:22 pm
    Lars Bullitt wrote:
    Pernbronze wrote:

Just the opposite for me.

The only draft picks getting playing time are 1 OL and a punter.
    My QB play has been horrible. My RB ypc have dropped from 5.0 to 3.5. Overall, just a crappy year.

Only saving grace is I am still fairly young and a good draft can improve things.

My offense has been poor too. Defense has been my saving grace.